Andar Bahar is a popular Indian card game that originated in southern India and has since spread all over the country and now to online casinos, including live casinos.
Evolution, Playtech, Pragmatic Play, Ezugi and Betgames have a live dealer version of Andar Bahar you can play.
In this article, I’ll explain the odds and payouts, how to play, including some strategy tips and tricks, and where you’ll be able to play live Andar Bahar online.
On some versions of the game, players can place a side bet on what they think the value of the Joker card will be before the dealer deals the first card. This side bet is only available in the Betgames version and is called the Joker Card bet.
The dealer places the first card, somewhat confusingly called the Joker, in the middle of the table. It has nothing to do with the Western idea of a Joker card.
After the dealer deals the Joker card, players can make bets on either Andar or Bahar and the other range of side bets.
Once betting time has closed, the dealer begins dealing the cards alternating between the Andar and Bahar positions. The game ends when one of the cards matches the value of the Joker card.
Andar is a more probable outcome, with a 51.50% chance, while the Bahar bet has a chance of 48.50%. Andar has an RTP of 97.85% and a payout of 0.9:1, and Bahar has an RTP of 97.00% with a payout of 1:1, simply because the Andar side is the first to receive a card.
As shown in the table below, almost all live dealer Andar Bahar games have the same payouts, 0.9 to 1 for Andar bet and 1 to 1 for Bahar bet.
A notable exception is the Betgames game that pays an awful 0.9 to 1 for a Bahar bet, which means you should never place a Bahar bet on Betgames Andar Bahar.
Another exception is the games from Ezugi. They deal the first card to Bahar rather than Andar, so their payouts are switched – Andar 1:1, Bahar 0.9:1. In all other aspects, the games are the same.
Evolution is the only game that’s genuinely different from the others as it has win multipliers on the Count side bet. The other games are essentially the same, except for Betgames, which offers payouts lower than usual and has the Joker Card side bet.
Perhaps it will be of interest to you that Evolution and Playtech are the only developers that hired Indian live dealers for this Indian game. If you want an authentic experience, this is where you should look. It doesn’t feel the same with a Caucasian wearing an Indian robe!
Ezugi Andar Bahar is a basic game version, with only the Count side bet available.
The payouts are Andar 1:1, while Bahar pays 0.9:1. This is due to Bahar being the hand that receives the first card.
Ultimate Andar Bahar is also available, with multipliers on the main hand up to 125x and 500x on the side bets. This game has a 20% fee to play.
You’ll find the game at LeoVegas.
The side bets make Andar Bahar a popular game among live casino players.
Before we discuss each side bet in detail, here is a quick table of side bets available with different providers.
All five providers have the Count side bet.
The Count side bet in Andar Bahar predicts the number of cards the dealer will deal before a card matches with the Joker card. You bet on the range.
Most providers use the same number ranges, except for Evolution. Two five-point spreads of 16-20 and 21-25 replace the usual ten-point range of 16-25. While ranges 41-45 and 46-49 have taken the place of the 41+ betting range.
Evolution has lower payouts on the count side bet because you have a chance of landing a random win multiplier. The maximum multiplier values shown in brackets go up to a maximum of 4000:1. As with all randomly assigned multipliers, it’s impossible to know the actual RTP of bets that involve them.
As shown in the table below, Ezugi and Betgames have payouts smaller than usual on the 26-30 and 31-35 ranges.
Note: the 16-25 range is the highest RTP bet you can make in Andar Bahar. It’s also one of two Count bets with a ten-point range, the rare 41-49 being the other.
The mean number of cards to resolve the game, not counting the Joker, is 13, and the median number of cards to determine the game is 11. That should give you a rough guideline on what to expect.
|Number Range||Probability||Max RTP||Ezugi||Pragmatic||Evolution||Playtech||Betgames|
|1 – 5||27.11%||94.87%||2.5:1||2.5:1||2:1 (9:1)||2.5:1||2.50:1|
|6 – 10||21.70%||97.67%||3.5:1||3.5:1||3:1 (14:1)||3.5:1||3.38:1|
|11 – 15||16.90%||92.97%||4.5:1||4.5:1||4:1 (19:1)||4.5:1||4.62:1|
|16 – 25||21.80%||98.10%||3.5:1||3.5:1||3.5:1||3.36:1|
|16 – 20||12.70%||n/a||n/a||n/a||5:1 (29:1)||n/a||n/a|
|21 – 25||9.10%||n/a||n/a||n/a||8:1 (39:1)||n/a||n/a|
|26 – 30||6.10%||94.57%||14:1||14.5:1||12:1 (59:1)||14.5:1||14.58:1|
|31 – 35||3.70%||94.28%||24:1||24.5:1||20:1 (99:1)||24.5:1||24.69:1|
|36 – 40||1.90%||94.88%||49:1||49:1||40:1 (100:1)||49:1||49.08:1|
|41 – 49||0.80%||95.04%||119:1||119:1||119:1||119:1||118.90:1|
|41 – 45||0.70%||n/a||n/a||n/a||110:1 (499:1)||n/a||n/a|
|46 – 49||0.10%||n/a||n/a||n/a||800:1 (3,999:1)||n/a||n/a|
Playtech and Pragmatic Play offer a side bet on whether the first three cards will form a Straight, Flush, or Straight Flush.
Despite the seemingly high payouts, none of these three is a good bet.
|First 3 Cards||Playtech||Pragmatic|
Playtech and Pragmatic Play offer this side bet, where you can bet on whether the first card will match with the joker card.
Andar pays 15:1, while Bahar pays 15.5:1.
Betgames is the only of the five developers to offer a side bet on what the Joker card will be.
Here are the payouts. RTP is around 95% for all of these bets.
|Value under 8||1.06:1|
|Value Equal to 8||11:35:1|
|Value over 8||1.06:1|
Now that you understand the odds and payouts of various bets you can make on Andar Bahar, it’s time to put that to good use.
Without knowing, a player may make a Bahar bet as it offers a better payout than the Andar bet. However, this bet has a lower RTP.
I’d say Andar is always the better bet if you even want to place an Andar/Bahar bet, as it comes with an RTP of 97.85%. That’s better than most roulette games but inferior to Baccarat, a similar game.
I find pleasure in playing the side bets. One of them has a higher RTP than all other bets you can make in Live Andar Bahar.
A Count side bet in the range 16 – 25 is the best bet in the game as it has an RTP of 98.10%, and you’ll find it at Playtech, Pragmatic Play, Betgames and Ezugi versions of the game. The only developer that doesn’t offer it is Evolution.
The mid ranges of 6-10 and 16-25 offer the best balance of coming up often enough and having a decent payout. Note: if you choose to cover all totals 25 and under, you’ll expect to win 87.51% of the time.
Here are a few essential tips and tricks to get the best experience while playing Andar Bahar.
Andar Bahar is a game in which you bet on whether the betting position Andar or Bahar will get a card that matches with the Joker card. Additional side bets are also available.
Andar Bahar is the name of two betting sides in the game. Andar means Inside, and Bahar means Outside.
No, Andar Bahar is an entirely different game than blackjack. It resembles a game like Baccarat the most.
Andar Bahar uses a single deck of 52 playing cards.